For an extended list of publications, see our publications page.
Mental and Behavioral Health
- Primack BA, Karim SA, Shensa A, Bowman B, Knight J, Sidani JE. Positive and negative social media experiences and social isolation. American Journal of Health Promotion. In press, 2018.
- Escobar-Viera CD, Whitfield DL, Wessel CB, Shensa A, Sidani JE, Brown Jr AL, Chandler CJ, Hoffman BL, Marshal MP, Primack BA. For better or for worse? A systematic review of the evidence on social media use and depression among lesbian, gay, and bisexual minorities. JMIR Mental Health. 2018;5(3):e10496. PMID: 30037786 PMCID: PMC6079300.
- Escobar-Viera CG, Shensa A, Bowman ND, Sidani JE, Knight J, James AE, Primack BA. Passive and active social media use and depressive symptoms among U.S. young adults. Cyberpsychology, Behavior, and Social Networking. 2018;21(7):437-443. PMID: 29995530.
Waterpipe Tobacco Use
Alcohol and Other Substance Use
- Primack BA, Colditz JB, Rosen E, Giles LM, Jackson K, Kraemer KL. Portrayal of alcohol brands favored by underage youth on YouTube. Journal of Studies on Alcohol and Drugs. 2017;78(5), 654–664. PMCID: PMC4451204
- Primack BA, Colditz JB, Pang K, Jackson KM. Portrayal of alcohol intoxication on YouTube. Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research. 2015;39(3):496-503. PMCID: PMC4510943
- Primack BA, McClure A, Li Z, Sargent JD. Receptivity to and recall of alcohol brand appearances in US popular music and alcohol-related behaviors. Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research. 2014;38(6):1737-44. PMID: 24716496. PMCID: PMC4047148
- Hoffman BL, Rosenthal EL, Colditz JB, McGarry R, Primack BA. Use of Twitter to assess viewer reactions to the medical drama Code Black. Journal of Health Communication. 2018;23(3):244-253.
- Hoffman BL, Shensa A, Wessel C, Hoffman RM, Primack BA. Exposure to fictional medical television and health: A systematic review. Health Education Research. 2017;32(2):107-123.PMID: 28334962
- Hoffman BL, Hoffman RM, Wessel C, Shensa A, Woods MS, Primack BA. Use of fictional medical television in medical education: A systematic review. Advances in Health Sciences Education. 2018;23(1):201-216. PMID: 28083814